- HAW Hamburg's General Information for Foreign Students
- Study Abroad – Guest Student Programme - nearly everything you need to know about your application, programmes, tuition fees, accomodation
- Campus online - At the HAW Hamburg students have access to our campus online systems. On enrolment you are given a user name and password for your HAW Hamburg account, which includes your HAW Hamburg eMail address, a student profile in HELIOS or StISys and access to EMIL, our E-Learning platform
Duration of terms and application deadlines
- summer terms (March to July): apply before 30th of October
- winter terms (September to February): apply before 30th of April
About the Department Information
The Department Information at HAW Hamburg is part of the Faculty of Design, Media and Information. Our faculty offers a broad variety of programmes like visual communication, illustration, photography and game design. We are located at HAW Hamburg's new media and arts campus in the city centre - providing a green high tech campus in historic buildings in the heart of one of Europe's most vibrant cities.
Students work in computer, video, sound, and usability-labs and small project rooms. A new library, cafeteria and sound lab are currently being built and will open in early 2015.
The department offers three study programmes in German language
- Library and Information Science (Bachelor Programme)
- Media and Information (Bachelor Programme)
- Information Media Library (Master Programme)
The department offers one international programme in English language:
- Digital Information & Media Culture (see below).
Staff have a research focus on Knowledge Access and Accessibility, Information and the Development of the Internet, Media Economy, Search Engines and Culture Theory, Media Research and Literacy. Furthermore our faculty runs the International Media Center Hamburg.
International Programme "Digital Information & Media Culture"
Hamburg is Germany's most important media centre and one of the most important media centres in Europe. It is home to the large publishing houses Gruner & Jahr, SPIEGEL Verlag and ZEIT Verlag who produce nationally and internationally acclaimed online news, newspapers and magazines. Also Germany's main TV news Tagesschau and Tagesthemen are broadcasted in town and have established very successful online and mobile applications.
The Department of Information at HAW Hamburg offers each summer semester (March - July) international guest students an insight into digital information and media culture in Germany and provides classes in English. The 30 ECTS semester programme »Digital Information & Media Culture« is made up of five modules:
Digital Information & Media Culture - semester programme in English
- Digital Culture and Critical Theory
- Macro Economy and International Communication Systems
- Search Engine Technology and Search Engine Use
- Social Media and Innovation
- Visual Resource Management
The classes in this programme are in English and are each worth 6 ECTS. More information about the content of the classes can be found in the module handbook.
Apply before 30th of October.
Letzte Änderung: 22.02.16
An die Redaktion