Most of our courses for more advanced learners (A1.2 and up) require you to complete an assessment to identify your proficiency level so that you can take the course most appropriate for you. You don’t need an assessment for beginners’ courses (A1.1). Follow this link for an overview of the proficiency levels set out in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Assessment is a two-stage process. First, you take a written online test, then you have a short oral interview lasting about 10 minutes (offered over the phone at present). You should have your written test result ready for your interview.
1) Here’s where you access the written online tests for the following languages:
2) You will need to register with the VHS for the oral interviews. The placement interviews will be offered in March:
- Thursday, 18 March 2021, 3:30 pm–5:30 pm
- Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 4:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Thursday, 18 March 2021, 1:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Friday, 19 March 2021, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Monday, 22 March 2021, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Thursday, 18 March 2021, 5:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 3:30 pm–4:30 pm
- Friday, 19 March 2021, 3:00 pm–4:30 pm
Please register for your oral interview and request your time slot by sending an email to einstufung-haw(@)sprachkurse-hochschule.de. Be sure to let them know your telephone number, the language you wish to be assessed in and your preferred date and time. VHS can accept your registration up to the last working day before the interview date, as long as slots are available.
Important information for the oral assessment: If you are making an appointment for a test via telephone, VHS Hamburg needs your telephone number to be able to call you back. They will call YOU at the appointed time.
VHS Hamburg will send you confirmation of your level (your Einstufungsbescheinigung) by email the day after your interview. You can then register for your chosen course. If you registered before your assessment, you will need to submit your Einstufungsbescheinigung before commencing the course. The Einstufungsbescheinigung is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
Please note: You are not required to complete an assessment test if you upload a VHS certificate, Goethe Certificate or DAAD language certificate demonstrating your language skills from a previously attended course when you register.