Campusleben_HAW_Hamburg_35

Lehrende_HAW_Hamburg_3

Studierende_HAW_Hamburg_27

Informationen für:

English
HAW Hamburg

University history

Hamburg University of Applied Sciences was founded in 1970 as the Fachhochschule Hamburg but it looks back on a long tradition, with roots going back to the 18th century. Four engineering schools and six vocational schools were brought together with the goal to develop a new form of higher education. The focus was to be on the application of knowledge, with degree programmes that included placements in industry, laboratory work and practice-related projects.

The Fachhochschule Hamburg started with thirteen departments; its Business School was founded in 1994.

In 1998, as part of the increased internationalisation within higher education in Germany, the Conference of Ministers of Education & Cultural Affairs allowed the Fachhochschulen to add "university of applied sciences" to their name. In 2001 the Fachhochschule Hamburg decided to take this a step further and changed its German name to Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg (HAW Hamburg) mirroring the English name, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. 

At the end of 2007 the Faculties of Business & Public Management and Social Work & Nursing were joined to form one faculty, so that today the university has a new structure with four faculties at four different campus locations in Hamburg:

  • Engineering and Computer Science
  • Life Sciences
  • Design, Media and Information
  • Business and Social Sciences

Letzte Änderung: 31.07.11

An die Redaktion

Graduates 1933 (Photo Gustav Salzmann)