Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Entry requirements for international Bachelor applicants

To study at Bachelor's level in Germany, international students must fulfil certain requirements. The following are the entry requirements for a Bachelor's programme at the HAW Hamburg:

fold faq Academic requirements - HZB - uni assist

In order to study at Bachelor's level in Germany you must have academic qualifications that are equivalent to a German Abitur or Fachhochschulreife. In German we call this your Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB).

The HAW Hamburg is unfortunately not able to check your school or university certificates to see if you have sufficient qualifications for Bachelor's studies. This is done for us by uni assist.

You can check on the DAAD Database to see what qualifications you need.

In order to prove you have a HZB, you need a Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD) from uni assist. What do you have to do?

1. Register online with uni assist
2. Send officially certified copies of your school and university certificates to uni assist with officially certified translations if the certificates are not in German or English.
3. uni assist will check if your qualifications meet the entry requirements for a degree programme at our university
4. uni assist will provide you with a VPD for Bachelor studies or for a Studienkolleg
5. send a copy of the VPD with your application to the HAW Hamburg

Please be advised that the uni assist process can take 4-6 weeks, so please apply early.

Exceptions: You do not need a VPD from uni assist if you have a Studienkolleg certificate (Feststellungsprüfung) or if you have an Anerkennungsvermerk from a German public office with your school-leaving grade calculated into the German grading system.

NOTE: At the HAW Hamburg the Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD) is valid for 2 years.

fold faq APS - Akademische Prüfstelle (China, Vietnam applicants only)

Student applicants from China or Vietnam must have their school certificates checked by the APS Offices in the German embassies in Peking, Shanghai or Hanoi. You will get an APS certificate. You must submit a certified copy of your APS certificate with your application to uni assist. APS Website

fold faq Language skills

If you are planning to study in a German-language degree programme at the HAW Hamburg, you must have a good working knowledge of the German language. If you hold a relevant language certificate, please submit it as an officially certified copy with your application. more information about certificates and language courses...

If you are planning to study in an English-language degree programme at the HAW Hamburg and your first language is not English, you must provide proof of your language ability. more information about certificates...

fold faq Work experience (Vorpraxis)

The university of applied sciences system in Germany places great emphasis on a practical approach to their degree programmes. As part of this idea, the HAW Hamburg requires proof of work experience of 9 - 13 weeks (Vorpraxis) as an entry requirement for some of its Bachelor's programmes. more information...

fold faq HAW Navigator self-test (EU applicants only)

For almost every German-language Bachelor programme there is a HAW Navigator self-test. It will give you an orientation about the contents of the programme and career fields and help you gauge if the degree programme is really a good match.

If your chosen degree programme has a HAW Navigator self-test, then you must take it before you can apply online to the HAW Hamburg. It is an entry requirement. As the tests are not graded this will not influence your chances of getting a place at the HAW Hamburg. Link to the HAW Navigator - for EU applicants only

fold faq Hochschulstart (for selected programmes)

Hochschulstart is a centrally-organised institution for the distribution of study places in Germany. This means: for some of the HAW Hamburg degere programmes you have to firstly register with Hochschulstart BEFORE you can apply online to the HAW Hamburg. Which degree programmes require a Hochschulstart registration and more information about the process and the link to Hochschulstart can be found here:  more information and link to Hochschulstart...

IMPORTANT: You also need to apply through the HAW Hamburg online process.

fold faq Applicants for Design programmes

Applicants for the design degree programmes at the HAW Hamburg must also take an Artistic Aptitude Test [künstlerische Eignungsprüfung]. This takes place at the beginning of November. To participate you must firstly submit a portfolio of your work to the Design department in September. More information in German

Next steps:

Online Application: Once you are sure about the entry requirements you can move on to the information about the online application process. This contains a step-by-step checklist for applying to the HAW Hamburg. Go to online application.

Studienkolleg: If your school qualifications are not sufficient to study in Germany, you can study at a Studienkolleg for a year and take the Feststellungsprüfung. This is then your HZB. This however, requires at least B2 German. More information here

Consultation for international student applicants: In case you require more information with regards to your application, you may visit us during our consultation for international student applicants every Thursday from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. in the Student's Center, room 125 (2nd Floor), Stiftstaße 69, 20099 Hamburg.

Letzte Änderung: 14.05.19

An die Redaktion

If you have questions:

HAW Hamburg
Admissions Office
Bachelor Admissions

Service Telephone: 
+49.40.428 75-9898

Open office hours:
Ground Floor
Mo. & Tu 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Thurs 2 - 5 p.m.

Student Counselling Office
Open office hours:
Room 122 / 1st Floor
Mo. - Wed. 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Thurs 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.

Campus Berliner Tor
Students Centre
Stiftstraße 69 / Building G
20099 Hamburg

DAAD Database for entry requirements