Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Entry requirements for international Master applicants

To study at Master's level in Germany, international students must fulfil certain requirements. The following are the entry requirements for a Master's programme at the HAW Hamburg:

fold faq Academic qualifications - HZB - uni assist

In general, the HAW Hamburg expects Master applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in the field (or associated field) in which they want to continue their studies at Master's level. This is known as the Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB). We recommend that your academic Bachelor's grade is at least 2.5 or better (German university grading system).

Each Master's programme at the HAW Hamburg has its own specific set of entry requirements, so please check the details on the information webpage for your chosen Master's programme. Link to list of Master's programmes.

The HAW Hamburg is unfortunately not able to check your school or university certificates to see if you have sufficient qualifications for Master's studies. This is done for us by uni assist.

In order to prove you have a HZB, you need a Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD) from uni assist.

What do you have to do?
1. Register online with uni assist
2. Send officially certified copies of your school and university certificates to uni assist with officially certified translations if the certificates are not in German or English.
3. uni assist will check if your qualifications meet the entry requirements for a degree programme at our university
4. uni assist will provide you with a VPD for Master studies, if you qualify
5. send a copy of the VPD with your application to the HAW Hamburg

Please be advised that the uni assist process can take 4-6 weeks, so please apply early.

Exceptions: You do not need a VPD from uni assist if you have a German Bachelor's degree (Feststellungsprüfung) or if you have an Anerkennungsvermerk from a German public office with your Bachelor's grade calculated into the German grading system.

NOTE: At the HAW Hamburg the Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD) is valid for 2 years.

fold faq APS - Akademische Prüfstelle (China, Vietnam applicants only)

Student applicants from China or Vietnam must have their high school and university certificates checked and certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) in Beijing, Shanghai or Hanoi. You must send a certified copy of your APS certificate with your application to uni assist. More information can be found on the APS website

fold faq Language skills

If you are planning to study in a German-language degree programme at the HAW Hamburg, you must have a good working knowledge of the German language. If you hold a relevant language certificate, please submit it as an officially certified copy with your application. more information about certificates and language courses...

If you are planning to study in an English-language degree programme at the HAW Hamburg and your first language is not English, you must provide proof of your language ability. more information about certificates...

NOTE: Some Master's programmes are in English but still require A2 German as an a prerequisite for applying. These are generally engineering degrees, where you need some German to be able to work in the labs. Please check the degree programme information page for your chosen degree programme.

fold faq GRE / GMAT

Some Master's programmes will also request a GRE (Revised General Test) as part of your application. Our institution code for GRE is 7031. Please check the information for your chosen degree programme to see if this applies.

Some Master's programme recommend submitting a GMAT result. Please check the information for your chosen degree programme to see if this applies.

More information about GRE:
More information about 

fold faq Aptitude Tests

Applicants for the design degree programmes at the HAW Hamburg must also take an Artistic Aptitude Test [künstlerische Eignungsprüfung]. This takes place in June. To participate you must submit a portfolio of your work to the Design department at the beginning of June. More information in German

Applicants for Master's degree "Sound/Vision/Games" must complete an aptitude test before they can apply. Part 1: Samples of work (portfolio) must be submitted to the Department of Media Technology between 1. and 31. October. Part 2: interview and oral exam further information (in German)

Next steps:

Online Application: Once you are sure about the entry requirements you can move on to the information about the online application process. This contains a step-by-step checklist for applying to the HAW Hamburg. Go to online application.

Consultation for international student applicants: In case you require more information with regards to your application, you may visit us during our consultation for international student applicants every Thursday from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. in the Student's Center, room 125 (1st floor), Stiftstaße 69, 20099 Hamburg.

Letzte Änderung: 14.05.19

An die Redaktion

If you have questions:

HAW Hamburg
Admissions Office
Master Admissions

Service Telephone:
+49.40.428 75-9898

Open office hours:
Ground Floor
Mo. & Tue. 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Thurs. 2 - 5 p.m.

Campus Berliner Tor
Students Centre
Stiftstr. 69 / Building G
20099 Hamburg