Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Visa, residence permits and other legal questions

As an international degree-seeking student there are several questions that need to be answered before you start your studies in Germany:

If you would like to talk to someone, you are welcome to come to the International Office for advice.

Recognition of foreign qualifications

If you already have a foreign degree qualification and want to know if it is recognised in Germany as a job qualification, please contact the following office:

Behörde für Schule und Berufsbildung
Hamburger Straße 31
22083 Hamburg
Tel.: 040 - 428 63 0 or  040 - 428 28 0

or visit the official Federal Ministry of Education and Research website and use the "Recognition Finder".

Legal advice for students

If, once you are a degree-seeking student in Hamburg, you have legal problems, e.g. problems with a rental contract, you can get legal advice from a public legal advice office:

Öffentliche Rechtsauskunft (ÖRA)
Dammtorstr. 14
20354 Hamburg
Tel.: 040.428 43-3071
Mondays - Fridays 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
(no appointments given, please go early to ensure you are seen)

For people with a low income the service costs 10 Euros. Please speak to them before you speak to a lawyer, as they cannot give you advice once you have spoken to a lawyer.

Letzte Änderung: 12.12.17

An die Redaktion

If you have questions:

HAW Hamburg
International Office

Teresa Schaubs
T +49.40.428 75-9183

Mariana Paunova
T +49.40.428 75-9834

Open office hours:
First Floor / Room 116
Thurs. 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
or by appointment

Campus Berliner Tor
Students Centre
Stiftstr. 69 / Building G
20099 Hamburg

Further information for degree-seeking students about visa and residency permits, living in Germany download brochure