Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Career opportunities after graduation

If you enjoyed your time in Germany and would like to stay on after graduation, you have the opportunity to look for work up to 18 months after graduation. While looking for work the following regulations for the job search apply:

  • the jobs you are applying for must be relevant to the academic qualification you received on graduation
  • the payment and working conditions for the job must be similar to those that would be offered to a German graduate
  • you have sufficient funding to cover your living costs while you are looking for a job

Additional information for non-EU citizens

On graduation you must go to the Ausländerbehörde and ask for an extension of your residence permit according to the residence law (§16 Abs. 4 Aufenthaltsgesetz). This will be granted for a period of up to 18 months.

In order to get an extension of your residence permit you must prove that you have sufficient finances to cover your cost of living. Whilst looking for work that matches your academic qualification you can work to finance your living costs. This does not have to be relevant to your study programme and can be a full-time position.

Once you have found a position to match your academic qualification you need to get a residence permit for employees (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zum Zweck der Beschäftigung §18 Residence Law). This is granted by the Ausländerbehörde. The Federal Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit) will check if your job matches your qualification and is adequately paid. With their approval you will be granted a residence permit.

HAW Hamburg Career Service

HAW Hamburg has a Career Service which offers workshops to help you put together a German resumé, understand the processes of finding employment in Germany and helping you prepare for interviews and assessment centres. They also offer consultation sessions where they advise you on your resumé and cover letter or coach you on your career plans.

HAW Hamburg Career Service
Campus Berliner Tor
Alexanderstr.1 / Room 2.27 (2. floor)
T +49.40.42875-9023

Contact for international students:
Johanna Ludwig
Tel.: +49.40.42875-9214

Websites and Information:

Agentur für Arbeit Website (in English)

If you want to return to your home country: You can get advice and financial support from AGEF (Arbeitsgruppe Entwicklung und Fachkräfte) Tel.: +49.30.501 085-0 mailto:info(@)

Letzte Änderung: 12.12.17

An die Redaktion

If you have questions:

HAW Hamburg
International Office

Teresa Schaubs
T +49.40.428 75-9183

Mariana Paunova
T +49.40.428 75-9834

Open office hours:
First Floor / Room 116
Thurs. 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
or by appointment

Campus Berliner Tor
Students Centre
Stiftstr. 69 / Building G
20099 Hamburg