Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Health Insurance

In order to be enrolled as a student at a German university you must have health insurance.

  • Students from the European Union can remain in their home health insurance system, if they have a European Health Insurance Card.
  • Students from outside of the European Union must be insured with a German health insurance company.

German health insurance - state or private insurance?

a) state health insurance:
If you are under the age of 30 years you can register with a state health insurance company, e.g. AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse, etc. Insurance currently costs approximately EUR 95/month, including the fee for the national nursing insurance scheme. In general your visit the doctor or dentist is covered by your health insurance card, which you must show when you have an appointment or need to go to the hospital. If the doctor prescribes medication, then you will be required to pay a small fee when you collect it at the chemist. Also dental services, such as crowns, etc. will require you to pay a certain amount of the cost.

To apply for state health insurance you will need the following:

  • passport
  • proof of address (Meldebescheinigung)
  • proof of enrolment at the HAW Hamburg (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung - HELIOS)
  • bank account details

b) private health insurance:
If you are over 30 years you will need to register with a private health insurance company. The Victoria Krankenversicherung, for example, offers special rates for students. Please check with the Ausländerbehörde that they will accept the company you have chosen, as they do not accept all insurance companies.You will also need to contact the AOK and ask for a release form (Bescheinigung über die Versicherungsfreiheit).

Private health insurance has the disadvantage that you have to pay the medical bills first and then have the money refunded. Depending on what needs to be treated, this can be quite expensive. Please check with your health insurance company before having major treatment to clarify what costs they will cover.

Our tip: Submit your doctor's/dentist's invoice immediately to your health insurance company and wait a couple of weeks before paying the invoice. If you are lucky you may get the money from the health insurance company before you have to pay or shortly afterwards.

If you are under 30 years of age you can also apply for private health insurance but will need a release form from the AOK (Bescheinigung über die Befreiung von der Versicherungspflicht).

If you need advice before choosing a health insurance company, please talk to the Studierendenwerk Hamburg.

Some health insurance companies in Hamburg:

Schlüterstr. 22, 20146 Hamburg
T +49.40.2023-2212

Techniker Krankenkasse
Schlüterstr. 18, 20146 Hamburg
T +49.40.01802-226787

Barmer Ersatzkasse
Frankenstr. 5, 20097 Hamburg
T.+49.40.239 401

Union - Victoria Krankenversicherung

Letzte Änderung: 25.06.18

An die Redaktion

If you have questions:

Studierendenwerk Hamburg
Beratungszentrum Soziales & Internationales
Grindelallee 9 / 3. OG
20146 Hamburg

T: +49.40.419 02-155
eMail contact

Open office hours:

Mon, Fri. 9.30 a.m. - 12 noon
Tue, Thurs 9.30 a.m. - 12 noon & 2 - 4 p.m.