Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Working part-time during your studies

General rules

In general, all students can work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the semester.

Students from the European Union (with the exception of Bulgaria and Rumania) do not need a work permit to work part-time during their studies.

Students from outside the European Union as well as from Bulgaria and Rumania can work a maximum of 120 days (or 240 half days) per year without a work permit *. You must have the following text stamped with your residence permit/student visa in your passport in order to work part-time in Germany:

»Beschäftigung bis zu 120 Tage oder 240 halbe Tage im Jahr sowie Ausübung studentischer Nebentätigkeit erlaubt.«

When you apply for a visa you will be expected to provide proof of sufficient funds (659 Euro/month) for the first year of your studies, possibly for all of your studies, depending on the country you come from.

Part-time work that goes over the 120 days requires a work permit.

If in any doubt, please contact the office where you are registered in Hamburg (Ausländerbehörde) or the Federal Labour Agency (Agentur für Arbeit).

120 days rule

You can work 120 days or 240 half days per year without a work permit (§ 16 clause 3 of AufenthG).*  

1 day = 8 hours; 0.5 day = 4 hours

If you work more than 4 hours, even if it is less than 8 hours, it counts as a full day. If you earn more than 400 Euros/month you have to make payments into the German social security scheme.

Jobs on campus

Jobs on campus are NOT included in the 120 day rule. This includes jobs at the university such as jobs as tutors or student jobs (studentische Hilfskräfte), etc.

Internships & Final projects

Internships that are a compulsory part of your studies are NOT included in the 120 day rule and do not require a work permit.

This also applies to final projects (Bachelor & Master thesis) completed in industry, at the university or in research institutes.

After graduation / Blue Card EU

After completing a degree programme in Germany international graduates can stay in Germany for a further 18 months to look for a job that matches their degree qualifications. During this time they can work without any restrictions.

Blue Card EU
This is a new way for people with special skills to live and work in Germany. Prerequisites are a university degree and proof of employment with a gross yearly salary of at least 44,000 Euro. The exceptions to this rule are currently engineers, doctors and people employed in the field of computer and information technology. In this case the gross yearly salary must be at least 34,944 Euro (Status: July 2012).

Letzte Änderung: 29.03.16

An die Redaktion