Applying as a guest student to the HAW Hamburg
Winter semester (Sept. - Feb.) Application deadline: 30. April
Summer semester (March - July) Application deadline: 30. October
If your university has a cooperation with Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, then please contact your International Office or Study Abroad Coordinator to apply for a place as a guest student. Here is a list of our university partners, if you are not sure:
Erasmus Partner universities
Overseas Partner universities
The application process is an online application process. You will be nominated by your home International or Education Abroad Office. Once you are in our system you will be automatically sent the link with the application forms. You will be required to send the following:
- HAW Hamburg application form
- Proof of payment of the semester contribution
- Health insurance form (students studying in non-EU countries only)
- List of courses* to be taken in Hamburg (Learning Agreement)
- students choosing classes in German should provide proof of German (at least B1)
- Design students should also send a small portfolio of their work as a pdf
* Erasmus students: It is only possible to take classes in the field in which your university has a bilateral agreement. e.g. if the Erasmus agreement is with the Dept. of Aeronautical Engineering you cannot take classes in the Dept. of Computer Science.
Programmes in German are generally open to freemovers, subject to class capacity and qualifications of the applicant. If your university does not have a cooperation with us, please write to the Faculty you are interested in studying at (see contact), stating clearly that you would like to apply as a freemover. Please also state which university you are studying at, which semester you are in and which degree programme at the HAW Hamburg you are interested in.
You must be enrolled in a Bachelor's degree programme at your home university and have successfully completed at least three semesters.
Together with the application form please also enclose the following:
- CV / resumé*
- statement of motivation for your stay in Hamburg*
- List of courses to be taken in Hamburg (Learning Agreement)
- confirmation of student status
- Transcript of Records
- reference from a professor of your home university
- information about your level of German or English, depending on the language of the classes you are taking (TOEFL (min. 85 points), IELTS (min. band 6); German (min. B2)
* in German or English depending on the language of instruction of the chosen courses in Hamburg.
Your application will be processed by the Faculty and you will receive a letter from the Student Exchange Coordinator informing you whether you have been offered a place. It usually takes about four weeks to process an application. Once you have been accepted, you will be required to pay the semester contribution and send us proof of payment.
The following programmes in English also accept freemovers:
- Life Sciences Engineering (Faculty of Life Sciences)
- Nutrition and Health (Faculty of Life Sciences)
- Mechanical Engineering (Faculty of Engineering & Computer Science)
Letzte Änderung: 08.10.15
An die Redaktion