Informationen für:

HAW Hamburg

Costs and Funding

When organising a study abroad semester in Hamburg you should plan for the costs listed below. If you are coming from a country that requires a visa to enter Germany, then you will be required to have a blocked bank account with sufficient funding for a semester (4,350 Euros) or year (8,700 Euros). You can find more information here and the German embassy can advise you on the current amount for your country. If you come from an EU or visa-waiver country then you can open a German bank account when you get to Germany.

Semester contribution 289 Euros *
Health insurance (non-EU students only) 95 Euro/month
Accommodation 300 - 350 Euro/month
Living costs 350 - 500 Euro/month
Residence permit (non-EU students only) up to 110 Euro
Total costs 4,000 - 5,000 Euro
* summer semester 2019

Further information:

fold faq Semester contribution & semester ticket

The semester contribution is NOT a tuition fee. It must be paid by all students and includes contributions to the Students' Union and the Students' Welfare Fund. Most importantly for this money you get a semester ticket which allows you unlimited travel on Hamburg's public transport system for the whole semester

fold faq Health insurance

International guest students from EU countries, Norway and Switzerland are covered by their home health insurance. All you need to bring with you is the European Union Health Insurance Card, an E128 or your national health insurance card for Norway and Switzerland. You can get these directly from your health insurance company.

Students from Turkey can get a AT11 from their home health insurance company, which they must show to the AOK to get a health insurance waiver.

Students from outside the EU will be required to acquire German health insurance. This costs ca. 80 Euros per month and is mandatory for enrolment at a German university. Students can register before they get to Hamburg. Application forms will be sent with the enrolment forms for Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. It is German law that the health insurance must be paid for the full semester (Sept. - Feb. or March - Aug.), even if you are not there for the full semester. The university unfortunately cannot influence this.

fold faq Funding your study abroad semester

With the exception of some US partner university semester scholarships, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences unfortunately cannot offer scholarships or funding to international guest students. Here are some ways of funding your study abroad semester:

EU students from partner universities can get funding through the ERASMUS programme. Please speak to your International Office at your home university.

Overseas students should check whether they are eligible for scholarships, for example with the DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service website. 

American students
can apply for a deferment of their loan payments in the States when studying abroad. Hamburg University of Applied Sciences is recognised by the US Department of Education. Our institution code is 02303000.
You can also apply for UAS7 scholarships (see below).

Canadian students: Hamburg University of Applied Sciences participates in the British Columbia Student Assistance Program. Our institution code is QUXP.  BCSAP website.

Australian students can often get a travel stipend or scholarship for study abroad from the International Office at their home university. In addition, the Australian Government offers loans of 5,800 AUD under the programme OS-HELP website .

fold faq UAS7 scholarships for US students

The HAW Hamburg is a member of the UAS7 consortium and offers UAS7 Travel Stipends of 1,000 Euros to American students to study in Germany. In order to be considered for a travel stipend you need to apply to UAS7 for one of the following two programmes, depending on what you want to do at the HAW Hamburg:

Application deadlines:
winter semester (Sept - Feb.): 15. February (SIP and SP)
summer semester (March - July): 1. October (SP only)

Letzte Änderung: 10.01.19

An die Redaktion