Obtaining your higher education entrance qualification

If your school-leaving certificate does not enable you to study in Germany, you can attend the Studienkolleg. There you can usually complete an assessment test (the so-called Feststellungsprüfung) after one year. The term Feststellungsprüfung is used to mean the 'test to certify the suitability of foreign students for admission to higher education in the Federal Republic of Germany'. If you pass this test you have acquired the higher education entrance qualification necessary to study in Germany.

Please also read our information about uni assist because we also need the grade you attained for your higher education entrance qualification in your home country.

Information sheet (in German only)

Registration form (in German only)

The Studienkolleg offers various courses. For the HAW Hamburg degree courses we recommend the following courses, depending on which area you want to study in:

T-Kurs (T course): Applied Computer Science, Clothing Technology and Management, Biotechnology, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, European Computer Science, Automotive Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Hazard Control, Computer Science for Technical Systems, Information Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Production, Mechatronics, Media Systems, Media Technology, Biomedical Engineering, Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Management, Rescue Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Process Engineering, Business Information Systems

W-Kurs (W course): Foreign Trade/International Management, Logistics/Business Studies, Marketing/Business Studies, Public Management, Social Work, Education and Learning in Childhood

M-Kurs (M course): Health Sciences, Midwifery, Interdisciplinary Healthcare and Management, Nutrition and Home Economics, Nursing

G-Kurs (G course): Library and Information Management, Illustration, Communication Design, Media and Information, Fashion, Costume and Textile Product Design  

How and when can I apply?

HAW Hamburg does not have its own Studienkolleg. We accept certificates from all German Studienkollegs. In northern Germany you can attend either of the following:

Studienkolleg – Universität Hamburg
Studienkolleg – Fachhochschule Kiel

You must apply directly to the individual Studienkolleg.

Application deadlines

  • 1 September (to begin courses on 1 January of the following year) 
  • 1 March (to begin courses on 1 August)