Request proof of coverage when you apply. Provide proof of coverage when you enrol.

All students in Germany are required to have health insurance coverage, which means that when you enrol online you need to provide information about your health insurance company (your member number, the company number and the name of the health insurance company). When you submit your application to study at HAW Hamburg, please also request a special certificate of health insurance coverage for enrolment from your health insurance company. They will send this to us electronically when you enrol. You can provide your health insurance company with the names of all the universities you are applying to. Please give them the name of the university and the sender number.

The sender number for HAW Hamburg is: H0000531.

The information will be sent to the university where you register when you enrol online.

Students have various options for public health insurance coverage. You can be insured independently or through your parents.

Exemption from compulsory health insurance:

You can also be exempted from the compulsory health insurance and take out private health insurance. In this case, you need to submit a certificate of private coverage to a public health insurance company. The public health insurance company will send us your exemption from the compulsory health insurance digitally. This exemption cannot be reversed and applies for the duration of your studies. Please consult with a public insurance company before you make this decision.

The City of Hamburg has compiled information about the health insurance requirements for international students here. Additional information for international students is available here.

Note: If you are over 30 years old, you are no longer obligated to have public student health insurance. In this case, you do not need to submit any documents from your health insurance company.

Changing your degree course

If you are currently enrolled at HAW Hamburg and only change your degree course, you do not need a new certificate of health insurance coverage, unless you switch health insurance providers at the same time you switch degree courses.