Social and Health Management
The Social and Health Management part-time continuing education MBA will enable you to further develop and refine your leadership and management skills.
Over five semesters, you will expand your management expertise. The course focuses on the sharing of and reflection on experiences from students’ professional practice, as well as the discussion and identification of alternative solutions.
- Expand your leadership and management toolkit
- Learn how to methodically and systematically find your feet in new areas and contexts
- Study alongside your ‘day job’ and inject fresh inspiration into your work
- Develop your abstract and analytical thinking skills
- Gain a recognised degree that enables you to progress to doctoral study (subject to the regulations of the higher education institution you then join)
The course is tailored to those working in the social and health management sector who aspire to a leadership position in a hospital, a nursing home, a managing or funding organisation, a daycare facility, or the reintegration assistance field. It is also intended for people who already hold this type of leadership position and want to further develop their skills and knowledge.
The degree course is composed of 11 modules that are based on the central responsibilities of leadership personnel in the social and health management sector. It focuses particularly on the following areas:
- strategic orientation of institutions and companies
- human resource management
- organisational and change management
You can choose to concentrate on one of these specialisations over the course of your studies. The module handbook provides more information about this. Cross-modular thematic topics such as academic research and innovation as well as a research workshop supplement the contents of all the modules.
During their fifth semester, students write their Master’s thesis and defend it in a colloquium setting.
- A first/advanced (Bachelor’s/Master’s, German Magister or Diplom, or equivalent) degree worth at least 210 credit points, in a subject relevant to the course
- At least two years (at the closing date for applications) of professional experience (as your main job) in a relevant area of health, education or social services
- Employment in a position with a leadership or management function or the aim of taking on such a position
- Letter of motivation
- Your CV, setting out your personal and professional development to date
- The original, or an officially certified copy, of your degree certificate, or, if you have yet to complete your first degree, a current overview of grades and examinations, converted into credit points
- Written references from previous/current employers and/or proof of professional experience to date
- Any certificates or confirmation of attendance from continuing education courses taken
- International applicants are required to submit the original, or an officially certified copy, of proof of having passed an internationally recognised test of proficiency in the German language, at DSH 2 level or higher
N.B.: Applicants whose Bachelor’s degrees are equivalent to 180 credit points are required to attain a further 30 credit points in order to enrol fully. Your department will determine which examinations and/or courses you will be required to undertake. If this applies to you and your application is successful, your enrolment will be provisional subject to demonstrable attainment of the required additional 30 credit points. A decision on full enrolment will be taken at the end of this semester. At the very latest, you must have attained all the required credit points by the time you register your Master's thesis topic. There are more details in the admissions and selection regulations for this course.
Applications are accepted until 31 May 2021 for the subsequent winter semester 2021/22.
Please apply directly to:
Faculty of Business and Social Sciences
MBA Social and Health Management
Alexanderstraße 1, 20099 Hamburg
Applications and admissions:
HAW Master's Degree Course Admissions Office
Stiftstrasse 69, 20099 Hamburg (Berliner Tor Campus)
Tel.: + 49.40.428 75-9898
Drop-in office hours: Monday/Tuesday: 11:00 am–1:00 pm; Thursday: 2:00–5:00 pm
Infothek opening hours: Monday–Thursday: 10:00 am–4:00 pm; Friday: 10:00 am–1:00 pm
Telephone office hours: Moday/Tuesday, 9:00–10:00 am; Thursday: 9:00–11:00 am
Due to the restrictions resulting from the corona pandemic, drop-in office hours are not being offered at the moment. You can reach us by telephone during these times. The Infothek is closed until further notice.
For general queries about degree courses:
Student Counselling Team (Studienberatung)
Stiftstrasse 69, 20099 Hamburg (Berliner Tor Campus)
Tel.: + 49.40.428 75-9110
Advice and information by phone: Monday–Tuesday: 10 am–1 pm; Thursday: 1 pm–5 pm
Contact person for applicants with disabilities or chronic health conditions:
Alexanderstrasse 1, 20099 Hamburg, room 4.10
Tel. +49.40.428 75-7220
Current office hours:www.haw-hamburg.de/inklusion
Degree Course Coordinator
Prof. Dr. Anja Behrens-Potratz
Tel.: + 49.40.428 75-7017
At a glance
Faculty / Department
No. of semesters
Language of instruction
Information about this degree course is available in German only.