There are many options available in Hamburg for learning a new language. Here are just a few examples:
- Why don’t you try out our language tandem programme? Get together with a native speaker of your chosen language to improve your skills and help them learn your language. It’s free of charge and a collaborative way to learn.
- Students enrolled at HAW Hamburg are usually allowed to join language courses at the University of Hamburg.
- Take a language course at the Volkshochschule Hamburg. There’s a wide range of courses on offer, including German as an additional language, for virtually all levels.
- Hamburg has a huge selection of private language schools which offer classes in the evenings and at other times. Some examples are UNS University Service, Colón Language Center and the Institut français and Instituto Cervantes.
- The Duolingo website and app offer free online courses for a range of languages.
The “English Handbook - Style guide for English writing at HAW Hamburg and handbook of English usage in academic and other contexts” handbook is intended to help you with correspondence and communication in English at HAW Hamburg and in academic settings more generally, as well as providing guidelines and suggested terminology for use at HAW Hamburg.
We've also created an overview of possibilities for independent online learning. You can download it here: