The Students' Union (AStA) is elected by the Student Parliament (StuPa) and, like the parliament, represents the interests of HAW Hamburg students. The Student Parliament is elected annually by the student body.
The Students' Union (AStA) is the body that represents all students at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. It is elected annually by the Student Parliament and is made up of the executive board and a number of employees with different areas of responsiblity. The Students' Union is a political student-government body, and all students can become involved and contribute their skills and strengths.
Each department also has its own council of elected student representatives.
The Students' Union has the following responsibilities:
- Representing the student body externally
- Implementing the Student Parliament's decisions
- Analysing and addressing current issues in German federal higher-education policy and transmitting them to the departments
- Actively supporting equal opportunities for all individuals at HAW Hamburg
- Serving as a central contact and information source for all students and their departmental representatives
- Coordinating interdisciplinary topics
- Advising students on relevant issues such as BAföG (financial aid), social issues (housing allowance, welfare, studying with a child, etc.), and suing for a study place
- Supporting student interest groups (e.g. 'Organic products in the cafeteria')
- Providing support and funding for student projects and initiatives
- Cooperating with other universities, especially in Hamburg
You can find the current opening hours on the AStA website.
HAW Hamburg Students' Union (AStA)
INFORMATION AND ADVISING CENTRE
Berliner Tor 11, Haus D
Tel: +49 40 28 46 456-70
Fax: +49 40 28 46 456-90
infotresen( (@) )asta.haw-hamburg.de
The Student Parliament (StuPa) is the top student decision-making body, in which every member has the right to speak and to bring petitions. It is elected annually by the student body and in turn elects the Students' Union (AStA) on an annual basis. The parliament develops political opinions and initiatives, commissions the Students' Union, and deliberates on the statutes and budget of the student government. The Student Parliament elects an election committee to oversee elections, a mediation body for legal conflicts, and an economic committee for deliberations related to budgetary matters.
The Student Parliament can be contacted via its executive board (Corinna Heinbockel, Hannah Wassermann, Bela Jürgens) at: stupa (@) asta.haw-hamburg.de